One Church, Two Locations
First Methodist Houston-Downtown
First Methodist Houston-Westchase
We invite you to visit and attend Sunday School and Worship Service at either of our great campus locations!
First Methodist Houston exists to bring people to Christ, grow disciples, and impact the city for God.
The historic significance of this Congregation dates back to 1837 when itinerant preachers and missionaries came to the new town of Houston and formed a Sunday School Society. The church was officially established on April 14, 1839, and the first church building was constructed on Texas Avenue at the current site of the Houston Chronicle Building. In 1910, the congregation moved to the corner of Main and Clay streets. Then, in 1993, the church added a second campus on the west side of the city, which offers additional worship opportunities, a school, and the Quillian Center, complete with swimming pools and softball fields.
Over the past 171 years this Congregation has maintained an influential role in local ministries and missions throughout the world. Some of their commitments include The Wesley Community Center, Blue Bird Circle, The Quillian Center, Clarewood House, Wesley Academy, Christian Alliance, and First Choice Television Ministry. In addition to these commitments, through the generosity of Dr. Oscar L. Norsworthy, the Texas Conference and First Methodist Chuch, The Methodist Hospital exists today as a leader in medicine and the health care industry.
The First Methodist Congregation is constantly working to meet the challenges placed before them in ministry to local, national and worldwide needs.
First Methodist Houston is led by Dr. Steve Wende, Senior Pastor. Dr. Charles Thompson is Executive Pastor at the Downtown campus and Dr. Paul Clines is Executive Pastor at Westchase.
© Quillian Center 2010 - 2014